Friday, November 13, 2020

Day 55, 56 - Apache Junction, AZ - TT

Thursday (55) - Right now, I'm waiting for another one of the ham radio tests to start. Since I never did hear back from the local WiFi provider, I'm tethering the laptop to the phone via USB and have the iPad on Verizon. It seems to work fine. The iPhone tethering is limited to 400Kbps (so says Verizon) but for this application, there isn't any problem. The only part that uses more bandwidth is the Zoom session which I run on the iPad. The Mac is running Big Sur beta and for some reason, Zoom doesn't want to connect on it. But the production version is coming today. I'll download it once we are on campground WiFi.

I think warm daytime temperatures have returned. I won’t say where I spent a couple of hours this afternoon. We head out on Saturday heading south and east. New Mexico is still “closed” to out-staters but we’ll only need one-stop and a Harvest Host winery said that we were welcome in their parking lot.

Yesterday, I made four appointments in Fairbanks for mid-December. I also got tickets to arrive one week before those appointments. Today, it sounds like the state is thinking of changing the rules again. Very frustrating trying to keep track of all this...

Friday (56) - Another ham radio test this morning. These are easy enough for me to do while I'm on the road using Zoom and their online testing software. Unlike the paper tests, the testing platform uses randomized test questions from a large pool of FCC-approved questions. The questions are publicized so you can take practice tests until you can pass consistently.

Another beautiful day. Clear, 72°F with a real light breeze and not a cloud in the sky. Hard to complain about anything. Took care of some minor tasks around the RV. The WeBoost cell booster interior antenna cable now runs over and through the front cabinet with the antenna mounted under the TV. 

After a couple of hours at the pool, I started to pack things up. The awning was rolling up crooked as the material had slipped on the roller. Possibly due to the windy days. We managed to slide the material back and it then rolled up fine. It’s always something...


  1. Oregon is going back onto a 2 week freeze - closing nonessentials like gyms, more stringent limits on gatherings. It’s hard to keep up with all the changes. I can’t imagine trying to coordinate travel plans right now. Hope it works out for you.

    1. We’ll see what happens. Fortunately, Alaska Air eliminated their change fees so I can always cancel if the rules change too much.