Monday, August 2, 2021

Cooper Landing and Seward

Sunday - This is not where we are staying but visiting some who are in the associated RV park. It’s a nice setup. Sunny, clear and 70°F is hard to beat. Actually, I had to find some shade as their site is pretty sunny at this time of day. It’ll be shady in a couple of hours. This morning was a chilly 45°F which makes me think it’s going to be fall soon. 

I’m not really sure if there are any “plans”. I don’t have any. 

 - Today, we drove about an hour to Seward. The first stop was the Alaska Sealife Center. This is a puffin, one of Alaska’s more recognized birds. They dive into the water for fish but it wasn’t their feeding time when we were there. 

I don’t remember what this fish was but it kept swimming near the aquarium glass. 

This is Resurrection Bay from the Sealife Center. We have a beautiful day for exploring Seward. 

We then went to Exit Glacier. It is now a two mile walk from the visitor center to the glacier viewpoint. When I was first here in 1983, it was only a ⅛ mile walk to the glacier itself. 

Saturday, July 31, 2021

Homer to Cooper Landing

As is fitting, on the day we leave Homer, it’s warm, sunny and calm. I picked up a breakfast bagel sandwich on the way to the RV park. 

I left Homer around 1:15pm. Stopped at the Fred Meyer in Soldatna for gas  and continued on to our B&B in Cooper Landing. Right after leaving Homer, it was overcast and the temperature dropped to 55°F. But after the highway turned inland, it warmed up to ~70°F. Much nicer. 

The B&B seems pretty nice and we’ll see what breakfast is tomorrow morning. 

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Homer, AK

Wednesday - It’s hard for me to tell but this may be Dixon Glacier across Kachemak Bay from Homer. Right now, I’m sitting in Heritage RV Park about ¾ of the way down Homer Spit. They have a nice view facing the bay with a view of the mountains and glaciers out the front door. Their view is below. The pano was taken just after low tide (-0.89ft).

I’m not sure what is on the agenda for today as I just rode down here. I believe the others are exploring the shops near the end of the spit. My brother is having everyone over for dinner (red salmon that he caught last week). I brought the old Instant Pot sous vide stick with me just to cook salmon. 

This was just the view while walking around the shops at the spit. I found the group after they found some fish tacos for lunch. Bridget shared her order. Pretty tasty. 

Thursday - Last night there was an 8.2 earthquake about 500 miles southwest of here. Reports say that it was the strongest quake since 1964. About 10:30pm, the tsunami sirens were going off and the low lying areas were being evacuated. My son and his group in the RV ended up at the cul-de-sac by my brother’s home. The tsunami was a non-event at 0.8 ft. Today is has been a cool, cloudy day. The group had their halibut fishing charter canceled and are now fishing in a small inlet on the spit. 

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Ural Trip

Sunday - Around noon on Sunday, I headed south with the Ural. The destination for today was Anchorage but eventually, we’ll be in Homer. Bridget left on Saturday with the Prius filled with most of our luggage. I brought my camping gear as I’m considering stopping on the way back. 

It was warm in Fairbanks but by Cantwell, it was 55°F and drizzling. The headwind didn’t help my progress much as the Ural was easily the slowest thing on the road. 

- Lots of wind on today’s ride to Homer. Between the wind and the hills there were times when I could barely maintain 50mph. Homer is beautiful. We are staying with my brother at his home overlooking Kachemak Bay. We are here for several days before heading north to the Kenai River.