I'm in the airport again waiting for my flight north looking at the ice fog. It's about 10:20am so just a little bit after the scheduled 10:15am sunrise. Last night, we dropped my mom off at the airport in time for her 9:30pm flight and at check-in, they moved her to the 8:07pm flight since the 9:30 flight was already delayed. Later, both the 8:07 and 9:30 flights were cancelled and she did not get on her way until 6:10am. I'm sure that wasn't how she wanted to spend her evening. We hadn't heard anything from her directly but a friend of ours was on the morning flight and emailed us to let us know what happened.
I still have several hours until my flight to to Utqiaġvik, the village formerly known as Barrow, through Deadhorse where there is a three hour layover. I believe that tomorrow will be the first sunrise in Barrow since November though the iPhone weather app seems to be confused. It shows sunrise at 3:00pm and sunset at 2:24pm for a negative 36 minutes of sun. Maybe there is something about that that makes sense. At -21°F (-29°C), it's quite a bit warmer than here. They are using the small Bombardier planes now instead of the 737s and they seem to be having more mechanical delays. I think that maybe the 737s were sturdier but that's just my opinion. Hopefully my flight isn't cancelled as planes get repurposed. There are a lot of people sitting in the airport due to cancelled flights to Anchorage.
Update - Not cancelled or even late. But only four us got onto the plane for a grand total of eleven passengers to Deadhorse. And one more picture from the Deadhorse airport looking at their almost sunrise/sunset. It's the same temperature here as it is in Fairbanks, -41°.