Sunday, April 3, 2016

Ural Problem Du Jour

After returning from CHSR, I headed out to an airhead tech session riding the Ural. I thought that a little bit of highway running would be good for the engine. When I took off from the subdivision, I had a really hard time shifting from 2nd to 3rd. If I pushed harder, it would shift to a false neutral between 3rd and 4th. I could then downshift into 3rd. Really odd especially right after exchanging emails with Dom aka Charlie6 when his new-to-him BMW powered Ural exhibited similar behavior. Another possibly related oddity was that the neutral light was intermittent.

The only thing that has changed since my last ride was adding the plastic leg guards. How could that do anything. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the reverse lever was touching the leg guard when in neutral. I loosened the lock nuts on the linkage and screwed the rod further into the ends shortening the link until the lever no longer touched the leg guard. The neutral light now comes on consistently. I went ahead and adjusted the upshift/downshift stop screws on the transmission before taking the rig out on a test drive. No shifting issues and no false neutrals. One more problem resolved and I learned how to adjust the stop screws.

Sunday Afternoon Update - Everyone in town had a surprise waiting for them this morning. Another couple of inches of fresh snow. I needed to use 2WD for the first time in a long time today to get out of the driveway. So this was my first opportunity to use the stock 2WD shift lever located near your right ankle. No problems. I like that we repurposed the Raceway 2WD lever to shift into reverse.

2 comments:

  1. Small things can make a difference. Glad you spotted the adjustment.

    By the way, I had to shovel snow today ... so still not riding.

    And published a blog post yesterday, but it's not yet showing up on anybody's blog ... blogger or otherwise. Very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first, I was baffled on how a piece of plastic could affect the transmission.

      There is a blogger ping function out there to force blogger to look for new content on your blog. I use http://blogsearch.google.com/ping when new posts don't show up in a timely manner.

      Delete