The new car had this annoying "safety feature". When you put it into reverse, it sounded like a dump truck with it's beep-beep-beep sounds. To me, it may have been useful as a safety feature if the sound could be heard behind the vehicle but, no, it could only be heard on the inside. It was a reminder to the driver that you were in reverse. Dumb. I had asked the dealer to change the sound to a single beep as I knew it was on option that they could set through their computer. (It says so in the owners manual) But they pleaded ignorance so instead of arguing with them, I picked up this OBD-II Bluetooth interface from Amazon for $21. This allows me to connect my laptop to the computer and change the setting myself.
The procedure was fairly painless thanks to the Internet. I paired the device with my laptop using the pairing code sent by the manufacturer of the device. Then started up my serial terminal program, ZTerm, set it to 9600, 8, N,1 and connected in. For those long time users of the Internet, they may recognize this as 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. I then sent a handful of "AT" commands to the device to show headers, add a linefeed, set the communications protocol, etc. Then had it connect to the appropriate computer, report back the current setting then I issued the command to change it. The whole process took less than a minute. Again, thanks to the Internet for the command sequences. In case you are interested, here is the command sequence and responses.
>AT SP 6
ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11/500)
>AT SH 7c0
7C8 03 61 AC 00
>3b ac 40
7C8 03 7F 3B 78
7C8 02 7B AC
7C8 03 61 AC 40
No more beeping. Maybe I should have changed the seatbelt beep at the same time. And time to look into what else I can use this for...
And aren't you glad the Internet has evolved to the current, web based version and we don't need to mess with terminal interfaces.